RMRKs “Dog Days of August” contest has begun, with three guilds competing, one of which I am involved in. We have decided to make a survival horror game as our month-long project entry -named ‘Dementia’- and have a video teaser created by one of our people. Although I usually take up a heavy interest in story/writing and creating the progression in my projects, I’ve taken a more laid back role this time and just letting the story be written by those who have created it, giving me time to just focus on creating art. The game will be set mostly in a hospital; not only have I yet to make horror graphics, but modern/hospital horror is especially new to me, so I’m excited about making and finding stuff for this!
So, have been working on blood and dirt stains mostly for now, as well as various walls and floors, but have plans for more stuff later on. I would post up some images about it, but I think right now I’d get into bother if I made any of our resources/plans findable, especially by the other guilds! I don’t know what else I’ll be getting into yet, but will be getting as much done as possible over the month, especially with the three secret “Challenges” we have ahead of us, so I’ll keep posting; it’s great fun so far! Looking forward to getting more created!
Recruitment details are below! If you’d like to be a part of Colonist, just drop a post here and we’ll talk!
Colonist is an exploration/simulation game. There’s no combat, no gory battles and wars and no villain to combat. Sound boring? Well you’re stuck in the wilderness of a new region with a small group of people ready to set up a new colony in the name of their kingdom far away and they’re relying on you to find somewhere safe, they’re relying on you to go out into the world and find the materials they need to build, they’re relying on you to develop this small group of people into a sustainable village and eventually, a thriving city!
The story is that you are, as stated above, colonising a new region. Once your Town Hall is settled, it will be up to you to explore the lands around the village and find materials and supplies. You have forests and caves to delve into in a search to find wood, ores, minerals and even lost treasures, with which you can return to the village and supply whatever construction you wish, whether it be a shop for more advanced drills or scouting post to help you find better caves to explore. It’s your choice! You’ll have plenty of responsibility to build up the town, but once it’s done, you may well be deserving a promotion, to take on some more tasks to help your village develop to its fullest!
What does it feature?
- Relaxed, combat-free gameplay with a focus on exploration, simulation and discovery
- A pixel-movement ABS with options to dig freehand with tools and shovels or to fire fancy Drill Guns at the rocks and destroy them from afar!
- Your decisions are what matters in the development of the village, build what you want first. If you have the materials, you have the choice!
- Update-based game releases. A base game will be released and extra quests and expansions will be released thereafter to keep playing regular
- Randomly generated ores and materials, so repeating caves can give different results each time!
Who do we need?
- Artistic Troops - We need pretty new tilesets made up for the game, but artists can do anything graphically they like; characters, tiles, parallaxes, maps etc
- Scripting Soldiers - So far no one in the crew knows anything about scripting, so any scripter at all is a champion. We are using some scripts in game already.
- Other Contributing Champs - I don’t think anything else is essential right now, but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t use the help. Any and all help is appreciated and we’ll gladly take on anyone who’s enthusiastic and think they can make a contribution!
Who do we have?
- Pixel Brady - Events, Art, Concept
I caved against my interests, as I felt I could no longer justify making a short, dirty version of this game, I definitely want to make it a bigger game (not a huge, monster game, but an hourlong playthrough no longer seems sufficient) but at the same time I don’t want to take forever doing everything myself when I could be focussing on DotI, so I’ve decided that I’ll try and get a team to put it together for real. I’ve linked an Alpha Demo for what’s been completed thus far (which isn’t much, to be honest) and am going to go on a hunt for folk who have a similar taste for relaxey-chilled games like this and see if it can be built as a team effort, giving me everything I want in a nice wee bundle!
Can YOU (~points~) be part of this team?!